Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Involved & Informed

Being involved at MU is a lot more challenging than I thought it would be. It isn’t hard because I don’t know how to get involved or I’m scared, but because each activity is so much in itself. I’ve had a hard time going above and beyond as I usually do because of time constraints. Each activity is so intense and time consuming that adding writing for the Maneater, participating in community service, attending football games, homecoming prep and work on top of being in a sorority is too much to handle, even for an over achiever! I came here with every intention of being the new “Miss Mizzou” for my class, but it’s a little harder than I thought.
So after I realized the challenge that lies within being involved at this amazingly opportunistic school, I’ve adapted my goals a tiny bit. After being admitted into a sorority (check number one), I decided to run for a position on the executive board on my pledge class. So not only am I in a sorority but also V.P. of campus relations for all 2006 pledges. Now, with homecoming around the corner we’re knee deep in grudge work and preparation. I am planning on adding a couple more activities to my agenda. Besides working at the Rec Center 12 hours a week, I plan on joining the student choir at the Newan Center, getting involved in two or three service organizations, writing for the Maneater and possibly getting a 3.5 GPA or above this semester. Whew!
With all these ideas and plans under my belt, I know I’m going to be very busy managing school and activities, but my homesickness dissipates with each activity I pursue and all the new friends and connections I make increase the feeling of a home away from home that Mizzou so willingly offers me. So, all-in-all I hope to accomplish many things by the time I leave this place, but for now I’ll stick to basics and try and keep my sanity intact.