Friday, September 29, 2006

Ethics in Journalism

One of the first things that crossed my path while my tenure here at Mizzou, was the holy law, "Conflict of Interest." Apparently I could have been in some sort of violation of this important law if I weren't "freelancing" at Adelante! and The Maneater. When "Conflict of Interest" happens it means that your interest intersect with our other duties, creating a type of biased danger in decision making, or at least that's what I got from conversations and warning with the staffers at the Maneater and Adelate!. I spoke to Katherine Reed, advisor for Adelante! and Lee Logan, editor in chief for The Maneater, about my activity and they both agreed that I was legitimatly safe because of my status of a "freelancer." These types of ethics, at least on the professional scale of journalism take high priority when attending meetings, making suggestions or the type of coverage undertaken in stories. The great thing about Mizzou is that this place is like the mecca of journalism. Sure I have screwed up a couple times with stories in The Maneater and I didn't have my ethics down at first, but that's what this place is about... putting you into place and not just for reprimanding reasons, but to scuplt you into a professional individual. Ethics in journalism aren't just humble and great, they're very good-looking too and with this type of polishing added into your daily scrub, you'll be dying to wake up every morning in the best of anticipations.