Wednesday, October 04, 2006

I believe that a code of ethics for journalists are very important. This does not mean I expect for news to be inhibited in anyway, however, I believe that in military topics, journalist should use extreme care in what they write. I understand the need to write about what is happening, this is a great way to go back and have records of just what the conflicts have been like over the years. However, if our public is reading the material printed by our own journalist, what is holding our adversaries back from obtaining the information for themselves. Ethics are the guidelines of journalists, and many other professions. But in a situation like this, I believe we should take the responsibility a step further and think about our own morales. If you are willing to write a contreversial article and put the lives of our soldiers at risk then I feel it is pertenant to ask the question, if those who have been written about are killed because of a planned attack, is the journalist responsible for this activity?